We'll get you there

We'll get you there!


Federal government advises spring break vacationers to secure travel insurance

by Lyle Adriano13 Feb 2019

The federal government has issued an advisory for Canadians going on vacation during spring break, encouraging them to secure travel insurance, among other tips.

Everyone – including those in the prime of their health – must secure travel insurance, the government stated in its release. The release, which was published on the official federal website, even recommends that Canadians “should purchase the best travel insurance they can afford.” The insurance should cover for health, life, and disability, allowing travellers to avoid incurring emergency expenses such as hospitalization costs or medical treatment outside of Canada.

“The Government of Canada takes the safety and security of all Canadians abroad very seriously,” Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs Pamela Goldsmith-Jones said in a statement. “We encourage spring-break travellers heading to international destinations to visit Travel.gc.ca before they leave.”

Other tips the release gave include:

Before leaving Canada, check the Travel Advice and Advisories for in-depth information on your destination.

Register with the Registration of Canadians Abroad service to receive the latest updates in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home.

Be aware of your surroundings and always stay with your friends. Note that there have been reports of alleged sexual assaults at tourist resorts carried out by resort staff and, in some cases, by other tourists.

For those who plan on going to parties, bars or nightclubs while abroad, it is important to follow some safety rules:

Alcohol should only be consumed responsibly. Some localities may not tolerate excessive drinking.

While illegal drugs are commonly used in some parts of the world, their purchase, consumption, import and export are banned almost everywhere. Note that cannabis, while legal in Canada, is illegal in many foreign jurisdictions.

 A new entry requirement into Canada as of November 10, 2016

The Government of Canada has introduced a new entry requirement known as Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), for visa exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa.

The form for this new admittance procedure needs to be filled out by eligible travellers at Canada.ca/eTA, prior to their trip to Canada, as it will be required to board their flight.

It is strongly recommended that eligible travellers apply for the eTA at the time of booking and to verify the status of the application on the Government of Canada official website at the following address: Canada.ca/eTA. It is also recommended to check-in at least three hours prior to departure.

Brazilian nationals traveling to Canada--eVisa--effective Jan 1, 2018

Canadians traveling to Brazil--eVisa--effective Jan 1, 2018

Canadians holding dual citizenship:

If your customers are dual Canadian citizens used to traveling to or transiting through Canada, they cannot apply for an eTA. They will need a valid Canadian passport to board their flight to Canada.

Please advise your customers that visa-exempt foreign nationals must obtain an eTA before they can board a flight to Canada. To complete their application for an eTA, your customers will need a valid passport, a credit card and an email address. An eTA costs $7 CAD and is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires (whichever comes first).

To see if the citizens of your customers' country need an eTA or for them to apply for one, visit the Government of Canada's Electronic Travel Authorization website.

*Visa-exempt foreign nationals are persons who are not citizens of Canada and are not required to obtain a visa for the purpose of travel based on their country of nationality.



Air Canada and Westjet, our intent is to always seat children with a parent or guardian. For this reason, we offer complimentary seat assignment for parents/guardians who are traveling together*.

Customers can also go to the Manage My Bookings link within 36 hours of completing a booking to confirm that the child has automatically been seated with a parent or guardian.

Air Canada is 12 years and under PLUS 1 responsible adult for FREE

Westjet+ Westjet Vacations is age 13 years and under PLUS 1 responsible adult for FREE

CUBA medical insurance: click here to see the list of CANADIAN recognized providers